Child Hearing Loss My child (6 years old) has been

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 28 Feb 2019 in Child Health
Question: Child Hearing Loss

My child (6 years old) has been diagnosed with sensorineural hearing loss bilateral, mild to moderate. ABR result is attached with other reports. He has been recommended to wear hearing aids. Please advise the test results. Thanks a lot.
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Child Hearing Loss

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
The report seems correct

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the 'Ask A Doctor' service.

I have checked the BERA report. The waveforms are proper indicating that the connection of auditory pathways in the brain are proper. There is a reduction in hearing capacity attributed to sensorineural hearing loss and this change involves both sides.

Hearing aids are indeed recommended and that too at the earliest. The language development has a window within which it needs to be completed. This window closes by about 7 years ago. Speech and language development is dependent on hearing.

Therefore the hearing aid is needed at the earliest. This is to be followed by rehabilitation.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
The report seems correct

Detailed Answer:

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 hours later
thanks a lot doctor Diptanshu for your prompt response and cooperation. could you please clarify more about the closure window time (7 years ago, do you mean 7 years old) do you recommend intensive speech therpy. he just now wears the hearing aids. Any other recommendation or clarification about ABR result, i.e. what%E2%80%99s the degree of the loss? is there more advanced test to diagonise the hearing loss? thanks a lot for your cooperation.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pardon for the typo. It should have been age and not ago

Detailed Answer:
Extremely sorry for the typo, I meant 7 years of age.

Yes, I recommend intensive speech therapy in addition to hearing rehabilitation. His degree of hearing loss is mild to moderate. No advanced test needed.

Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer: