Chest x-ray showed indeterminate rounded nodule in the mid lung. What does this mean?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi Doctor, My name is XXXXXXX i'm 57 yrs old never smoked or dranked. I had a chest x-ray nov. 12 finding was an indeterminate rounded nodule in the left midlung overlying the left 4th anterior rib. there is no evidence of pneumonia or pulmonary edma no plrural effusion, or pneumothorax. should i have a Ct?
I do not have another x-ray to compare with what do this mean?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic

A nodule in the lung evokes several possibilities.
It is not at all easy to diagnose the nature and cause of this.
It is elusive / evasive.

A battery of tests will be needed ā€“ Blood tests / CT scan / Bronchoscopy / BIOPSY. Biopsy is often the only concluding investigation and is a must in almost all cases.

You should SEE A PULMONOLOGIST (lung specialist) ā€“ as soon as possible
Frequent follow up is a must.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck