Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Chest x-ray showed bilateral hilar congestion. Is it serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 364 Questions
I did x-ray For my chest and i got as a result: bilateral hilar congestion
Is it serious? Or does it make any risky situations in the future? And yes i do smoke..
Because im getting anxiety disorder .. I did MRI for my brain and CT scan for my heart they r all clear nothing serious.. Im also getting panic attacks sometimes feeling dizzy 24\7 like im gona faint.. So please doctor provide me with more information about bilateral hilar congestion .. Is it serious.. If i stop smoking will it go away? Coz im really worried about the attacks im getting.. I feel unsafe :(
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later

Bilateral hilar congestion is a very non-specific finding, and it depends on the clinical scenario. If you have shortness of breath together with this finding it could mean you have an early pulmonary oedema (water in your lungs) or a cardiac problem, however I reviewed your chest x-ray and it looks normal for your age. Usually young people may have increased vascularity and it is a normal finding. Nothing serious.

However I want to emphasize that smoking definitely increases your risk of cardiac and pulmonary problems in the long run, and I highly advise you to quit. It would be highly unlikely that you already developed complications from it at such a young age.

Try to control your anxiety with other means besides cigarettes, and if you are addicted to it, then try nicotine patches.

Hope that answers your questions, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor