Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Chest pain while eating sugar, history of acid reflux, candidias, punctured lung.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 339 Questions
Age 62, 155. Just had yearly physical. Everything ok. Problem: whenever I eat sugar my chest hurts. Doctors in the past have said I am getting over a slight infection. I had a punctured lung at age 22. Recent pain in lungs used to follow plueracy symptoms, but they have subsided now. However I am still having pain in my sternum whenever I eat sugar. Pain was gone just yesterday, but I had a small sample of cake at the grocery store and now the pain is back. Have had a history of chronic systemic candidias, so I pretty much always avoid sugar. However, whenever I have a glass of wine, I have the sternum pains. Also have had acid reflux, but I avoid bread and beef and no longer have acid symptoms. My current problem is very specific to sugar. If I eat sugar, I have pain in the sternum the next day. Also, sometimes when I stretch, I feel a bit of a pull. The pain is about 5 or 6 inches down from the collar bone.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

The center of all your problem seems to be the gluten allergy and it can be associated with candidiasis and thyroid problems.

Normally sugar do not cause reflux problems and it may be the fat associated with it ( like in cake) which relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter and hence the reflux.

Cake (bread) also contains maida a wheat product and some of the dressings also contain wheat.

In patients with gluten allergy any wheat intake can precipitate esophageal motility disorders and retrosternal pain.

Wine again relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter and promotes reflux and hence the pain.

Hence try to be on a strict gluten free diet and get your self an esophageal manometry done to identify the motility disorder.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for follow up.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor