Chest pain radiating to breasts. Had sudden death, brought to life with AED, had coma, fitted with ICD, taking anti-arrythmia drugs

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had Sudden Death on march 13 of this year, 3 times. It took the doctors in er almost 30 minutes to bring me back and 9 shocks with an AED. I was sent down to Seattle and remained in a coma a few weeks and then was fitted with a ICD. I take anti arrithmya drugs 2 at night and 2in morning. I woke this morning with sharp painful pain on left side of chest that radiated to middle of chest between my breasts. I have doctors appointment 13 h if this month. Should I worry about this?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence. I am touching wood while typing this that you are a lucky man and must have done enough good for others in your life. My compliments.
I must say on 13th March doctors did a rather good job for your brain can not remain viable if blood supply to it is interrupted for more than 180 seconds. You would not be writing this mail if it had happened whether it took 9 shocks and 30 minutes, they maintained blood supply intact. Let the Almighty be praised for this. As per the protocol usually followed they would have done coronary angiography before proceeding with AICD. That would have been normal. With your pain I am worried about coronary artery disease as one of the possibility but if it was normal in March it is likely to be non cardiac pain that will satisfy me. Automatic XXXXXXX Cadioverter Defibrillator is fitted with a device to record every event and tell the doctors about your rhythm use of functions like rapid pacing to thwart arrhythmia and if it had been done without shock will immensely satisfy me. Worry would be if you had required few shocks to avert ventricular tachycardia- that would mean as one of the possibility inappropriate programming or recalcitrant arrhythmia, you did not mention any shock so I do not expect that to be present on interrogation. I hope wound over the ICD would have healed properly. Wish you all the luck I am not cause for panic or even concern. Good Luck. Do keep in touch.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow up: Dr. Anil Grover 33 minutes later
Thank you for you fast reply. Yes iam a very lucky woman. My team of doctors as well as my doctor here on the island thought for sure I would not make it. I am know as the Easter Miracle. My scar is healing well, and I have thought maybe this pain could be related to the healing going on there at the site.b just hard to tell, and I have never awoken to this pain before. As at as I know I do not have any heart disease, but I sure will ask at my next appointment. Iam due for an echo on the 17 to see what the repair rate is on the heart wall is. Forgive me I do not know the medical term for that is. I did sustain a Brain injury, short term mie,ory loss and have trouble with remembering and concentration. My doctor did do the warming thing with me while in the ICU before my medivac south to seattle. The cardiologist team said he did a fine job! My Boise is still not normal after intubation he believes it maybe due to being in a hurry in the er and maybe there was damage or the length of time the tube was in while in coma. Thank you for your reassurance and promptness in your reply.

XXXXX
Hi XXXXXX,
Thank you for replying. Yes, it is evident that you did suffer some hypoxic brain injury and laryngeal injury causing short term amnesia and abnormal voice in addition to certain functions like naming things (probably the word you are searching for was anomic aphasia). Hurry in intubation is understandable, but problem during medical evacuation was rather an unfortunate event. It has been less than six months and I am sure some functions will improve. I am to learn otherwise things had been fine.
Thank you for appreciating my promptness, hey that is my job though I am pleased with your kind words for me. I sincerely hope everything turns out fine with you. Regards.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW