Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Chest pain, hurts while moving and taking in air, have been exercising. Is this muscle or bone-related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12678 Questions
I have been working out for about three weeks now. Feel great have lost about 12 pounds and have more energy when I woke up this morning my chest plate really hurt in the middle right side of my chest. I do not bench press so I have not bounced any thing of my chest. Is tha a mussle or all bone. But it hurts when I move from side to side. Does hurt alittle when I take in air.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Pain in the chest plate in the middle right side can be due to-
1)The first possibility is of myositis or muscle pull due to overuse of muscles, which I feel is more common reason in your case. Mild antiinflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen and hot fomentation will help you.

2) The second possibility can be of Pleuritis - You may have VIRAL BRONCHITIS. Your pain may be caused by PLEURISY, an irritation of the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection. Hard coughing may also cause pain in the muscles and chest wall. Drink plenty of fluids, and try cold medicines and/or anti-inflammatory medicines to relieve your symptoms. Steam inhalation will help your symptoms. See your doctor if the pain continues for more than a few days or if you develop a fever.

3)The third possibility is of Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.

Though the second and third possibility looks rare in your case, as you do not have/not mentioned any other associated symptoms of the disease. But, needs to be investigated in case you have any additional symptoms.

I suggest you to consult a physician for detailed physical examination and relevant tests and get these causes ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor