Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Chest pain caused by severe cough, not reducing by syrups. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 78 Questions
I have severe cough fot past 15 days. I consulted a doctor and had Cough syrabs but no improvement. Due to which i am getting chest pain in left side while coughing.
Age - 26
Weight - 66
Height - 163 Cms
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 32 minutes later

Thank you for posting in your query.

According to your question you have been having a cough since past 15 days. Do you have any of the following associated symptoms:
1. Runny or blocked nose
2. Cough with phlegm
3. Any blood in the phlegm
4. Fever with or without chills; any evening rise in temperature
5. Any weight loss in the recent month
6. Body ache , fatigue etc
7. Do you suffer from asthma or other chronic illnesses and are you on any medications

Your cough could be pointing to an infection either viral or bacterial

The pain that you are experiencing must be due to muscular fatigue due to continuous coughing

It would be in your best interest to undergo a course of antibiotic and antihistaminic medications to relieve your symptoms. You should also take warm fluids and do lukewarm saline water gargles

Cough lasting for a long time even after medication needs to be evaluated by examination of sputum, chest X XXXXXXX and blood tests like ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)

Hope I have answered your query


Dr Gowri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor