Chest pain and sudden bowel movement with blood in it. What is causing this?

Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Chest pain and sudden bowel movement with blood had gone to hospital sevral days ago son emergency. Tests were done noithing conclusive
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 1 hour later
Hi

I have a couple of questions:

1. Was it fresh blood in the stools or was it black and foul smelling stools ?
2. What was the amount of the blood ?
3. Are you on any medications at the moment ?

There are many cause of blood in the stool. Sometimes it could be something small like piles or fissures. But often and especially at your age we could be dealing with something critical. I am very surprised that you ER sent you back. You need to do the following :

1. Get a stool for occult blood done - this is blood that is not seen with naked eye but picked up on the test. Only 3 negative samples can conclusively say that the test is negative.

2. You need to discuss with your doctor about getting a colonoscopy done ASAP. You may need to take an appointment with a gastroenterologist as soon as possible

Hope this helps.
If you have any more question please direct it to me

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Former Gastroenterology Registrar at Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad.
Follow up: Dr. Om Lakhani 3 days later
After writing you on the above question, I ended up in emergency room. Endoscopy and colonoscopy was done.Blood was from abcesses in colon from dehydration. Also was told by gastrinologist that I have diabetes and high blood pressure.First visit to emergency room those tests were not done...only x rays and blood tests. Th ank you.
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 1 hour later
Hi. Glad to be of help.

Regards.
Dr. Om lakhani.