Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Chest X-ray showed area of pleural thickening. History of TB. Sign of resurfacing TB?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hello, about 14 months ago I developed pneumonia and pleurisy (pleural effusion) about 6 weeks after giving birth. I was bed ridden for two months. (I was very ill) I have experienced symptoms over the last year so went for a chest x XXXXXXX and they found an area of pleural thickening. could the pneumonia and pleurisy have been caused by tb? I'm 35 years old but when I was in my early 20's I worked in a hospital lab and when I had the tb test it came back positive even though I never had the BCG vaccination. Could tb have become active during time of weakness and caused the pneumonia,pleural effusion and pleural thickening? I'm currently awaiting investigation from a rheumatologist and pulmonologistand and a ct scan. Also experiencing fatigue and joint pains. Thanks
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 42 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Yes , Tb is a common cause of pulmonary pathology like pneumonitis , pleuritis causing effusion / thickening especially if the symptoms are long standing and associated with generalised weakness , weightloss or fever etc.However if you have had a severe pneumonitis in past that itself could lead to pleural changes . Also some rheumatic or autoimmune illnesses can cause similar symptoms.
If the mantoux test is strongly positive , Esr is raised,X-ray chest and other investigations are suggestive then there is a possibility of such infection ( Tb).
However it cannot be confirmed without full evaluation and investigation .
You have rightly got yourself evaluated thoroughly and I'm sure once your reports are known the diagnosis would be confirmed by your doctors .
Hope I have answered your query .
Please feel free to ask any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor