Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Cheek started shrinking inside, looks like bruise. Planning for biopsy. Any suggestion?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
My husbands cheek suddenly sunk like a finger was pushing it in and looks dark or bruised. Dentist found nothing dental about it but does see a dark spot above his mandible where it is sunken in. A biopsy is planned. What could it be?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Hi there.
I read your history & note the issue at hand.
It could just be a condition called erythema induratum or a hematoma arising out of a cheek bite that was innocuous but left behind a puckered scarring; morphea is a condition that merits mention.
However, i must stress that this requires to look at the person in toto. Going by your history of phaeochromoctoma & prostratic issues, one needs to be careful to rule out any underlying systemic disorder. This however seems unlikely & you can rest assured this is an isolated local phenomenon.
I think your approach of doing the skin biopsy is the 'right' one & an excision of the lesion will give you a clear cut picture. Good Luck & GodSpeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor