Changed to Paxidep from Oleanz. Not able to sleep. Side effect?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: HI, I was taking Paxidep 25 and Oleanz 2.5 mg . i changed my psychiatrist because i was putting on a lot of weight with oleanz. my current doc put me on serta 25mg along with Paxidep 25mg in the night. But i am not able to sleep . I have started the new medication of serta 2 days back. Could you tell me the side effects of serta ? i had mentioned about my lack of sleep and doc had prescribed zolipax 0.25 mg . i had it for a day but didnot get full sleep and was drowsy the next day. the doc put me off zolipax immediately. Do you think i am suffering from insomnia ? i get sleep only at 5 am in the morning for only 2 hours or so . with oleanz i could sleep well .

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 59 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
in the Initial period there may be problems in concentration and sleep with the new antidepressants.
Your body would adjust to the effects of the drugs in 4-5weeks.
If you can not sleep at all then you can ask your physician to add low dose benzodiazepine to ensure good sleep and later taper it off.
I hope the advise would be beneficial for you.