Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Chance of getting infected with hiv after having sex with hiv positive partner?

User rating for this question
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2714 Questions
What is the chance of getting infected with HIV after having unprotected sex (ONLY FOR FEW SECONDS - LESS THAN 15) with a female with HIV positive and negative also?

While I was having sex, after ejaculation, I observed that condom at the tip of my penis got torn. According to her, it was torn after the ejaculation due to the force. I am not sure when it got torn. Intercourse lasted only a few seconds, about 7-15 sec's. Since then, my worry of getting infected with HIV is at the peak. Please let me know the initial symptoms, tests, duration of symptoms outcome. Its three weeks now since that incident took place. I observed a pus sore (similar to heat sore) formed near my penis. I doubt its a wart. I observed this one week earlier when I was trimming there. I don't know when it occurred. Its painless, non itchy. That's the only change in my body I have observed. Due to anxiety and worry, I some times feel slight increase in my body temperature. No other major illness is observed till now. Please guide me through. I had completely PROTECTED sex with some other females in the past. I am on top of her when this incident happened.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 24 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting you query.

Protected exposure offers almost 99% safety to you.
Unprotected exposure with a HIV negative girl is almost nil if the test had been done at least after 3 months of her last contact.
Nearly 30-40% of the spouses of HIV positive individual are remaining free from HIV
(Sero-Discordant) in spite of their regular sex life.
As per CDC, Atlanta, vaginal penetrative sex carries 5 out of 0000 exposures.

Earliest symptoms in HIV can occur after 3-4 weeks of infection as fever,head ache, body pain, Throat infection etc.
Genital warts has an incubation period of not less than two months. So your pustule cannot be a wart. It may be just a folliculitis.
There are tests available to test HIV (P24 Antigen test, HIV DNA PCR test) which are reliable fro 3 weeks after the possible high risk activity.

The chances of getting HIV in your case is very low.
Get yourself checked for HIV and get relieved from your test.
Wish you good luck.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Chance of getting infected with hiv after having sex with hiv positive partner? 17 minutes later
Hi Sir,
Thanks for you reply. I am quite relieved at this point of time.
One final question, If the test results of HIV DNA PCR test are negative, can I be sure that I am out of the risk of getting HIV?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 14 hours later

Welcome back with your follow up query.

Certainly. HIV DNA PCR is more confirmatory than the ELISA or Rapid tests.
It is more reliable and conclusive after 3-4 weeks after the possible high risk contact.
All the best.
If you have further queries feel free to ask.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Chance of getting infected with hiv after having sex with hiv positive partner? 32 hours later
Hi Sir,

Thank you very much for your response.
Yesterday, I had a check up with Urologist and explained the scenario in detail.
He stated not to worry about the incident and 99%, there is no chance for me getting infected as this was a single time unprotected contact.

From the past 4 days, I was feeling a slight burning sensation at the tip of my penis, frequent urination (after half an hour of water in take). I explained him this observation and he stated that, this could be due to anxiety and your fear of getting infected. He added that it generally happens due to climatic changes, low water in take etc.

He gave medicines for 5 days and asked me to have them. Later, I asked whether any tests are required. He suggested me to take ELISA test after 6 months. I asked him about the PCR test and he told that is a reliable test and its not required for you now and don't need to worry about that.

I was quite relaxed after hearing this from him but not completely. Still my mind is revolved around those hazardous thoughts of getting infected, though I am trying hard to come out of it.

Please provide your feedback on this sir.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

Burning sensation at the tip of penis and frequency of urination are not at all symptoms of HIV at an early stage. It may also be due to mild urinary infection (revealed by simple urine examination) or as your Urologist told it may even be due you anxiety and climatic changes. Consummation of adequate fluids will eliminate these symptoms. If there is a sign of urinary infection in urine, it can be corrected with appropriate antibiotics.
ELISA and other rapid tests will be reliable after 12 weeks onward, not to wait until 6 months.HIV DNA PCR becomes more reliable since 3-4 weeks of high risk activity.
My suggestion is to go for the test. After seeing the result only you can get relieved totally. Till then however much words can not soothe you completely.

A Dermato-venereologist or a STD/HIV physician is an ideal physician to guide you better.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Chance of getting infected with hiv after having sex with hiv positive partner? 7 minutes later
Thank you very much sir. I will go for the test then. Is it okay if I undergo the test in a diagnosis center (a clinical laboratory) or a registered hospital. Because, I heard about the false positivies and false negatives issues with HIV detection tests.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later

All HIV tests in the market are from good companies and are almost equally reliable. If it came negative you need no more confirmation.

(Only with the positive results it is better to confirm with another different rapid test or ELISA or Western blot to rule out false positive results. It will not be applicable in your case). In India free testing centers are available in almost all Government Hospitals (ICTC) and they are reliable 100% where you will receive necessary counselling also and they follow NACO Guidelines by doing 3 different tests.
You don't need to go to private hospitals where they may confuse you. Good private laboratory results are equally good. But you have to identify a good and standard laboratory.

Wish you good luck.
Dr S. Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor