Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Cecal ulcer biopsy showed Mycobacterium tuberculosis DNA. Taking INH and OD tab R-cin. Proper treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
my wife's cecal ulcer biopsy by test AURO-TB PCR-1 detected Mycobacterium tuberculosis DNA in the clinical specimen and is undergoing the following treatment
tab INH 300 mg OD tab R-cin 600 mg OD empty stomach
tab PYzina 750 mg bid
tab mycobutol 1000 mg OD and
tab Benadon 20 mg OD
this treatment is going on for the last a little more than 2-months
I want to know which medicines r to be discontinued when & why and total period of treatment
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 54 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The dosage of anti TB drugs is based on the body weight of the patient. In case of intestinal TB, 4 drugs are given for a period of 3 months followed by 2 drugs for aperiod of 9 months. Vitamin B especially pyridoxine supplements asr a must to prevent peripheral neuritis.
Watch for vomiting ,pain in abdomen and jaundice. If any of these symptoms are seen then the drugs need to be re-evaluated and changed. Hence aliver function test nedds to be done every month to detect hepatotoxicity. After 3 months of therapy INH and rifanpicin should be continued for 9 months along with vitamin supplements.
I would advise you to be in continous touch with the treating physician.
I hope this answers your querry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor