Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Cause of non-itchy bumps on vaginal inner lip?

Mar 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1390 Questions
Hello, I have a problem and cant see a doctor for another week. I had a small bump on my vagina inner lip about three weeks ago. After that one showed it reduced in size and I got another small bump. There is no white head and no pain except I tried squeezing it which made it a little tender and larger. Im assuming from trying to squeeze it. I have been with my boyfriend for two years and him and I are the only ones we have been with. I had hpv about 5 years ago but have had clean paps for the last 3 years. Both bumps are there still. There was no blister and no cauliflower look to it. I am not having flu like symptoms or swollen glands. There is also no itching and when I'm not worrying about it I forget its even there. Please help.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: looks like infection, maybe HPV Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. It looks like you are having an infection. It may be a recurrence of your HPV or it may be another local bacterial infection of the vaginal glands. It is usual for any infection that if there is no pus and you try to squeeze it, it swells and becomes tender. So this is a usual response. There are a few things that you can do, Give mild hot fomentation to the bump, if it is mild infection then usually goes away. maintain local hygiene and change your undergarments two to three times and wash them in hot water. Also clean the local parts with warm water two to three times a day. An HPV PCR test to check for recurrence of infection if the above treatment does not help. Every recurrence will not give rise to all the symptoms. If it develops a pus point, then only squeeze it and extract all the pus. Clean it with antiseptic solution like savlon or betadine after removing the pus. This may need to be done once or twice after which they usually heal. If they continue to recur, you may need antibiotics orally at the prescription of your local doctor. Please feel free to ask any more queries. Thanks for using XXXXXXX Do not worry, have a nice day. Dr Madhuri Bagde Consultant Ob Gy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Cause of non-itchy bumps on vaginal inner lip? 27 minutes later
If it is bacterial infection is it contagious? What normally causes an infection like that? How long would an hpv break out last? When I was diagnosed it was never on the outside of my vagina. How long should it take for the infection to go away?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not worry Detailed Answer: Hi, Please do not worry as bacterial infections are common. They may be sexually transmitted or may occur from blocking of the ducts of glands that are present in the vaginal area. They can also occur after any trauma or friction. Regarding it being contagious; If the skin or mucosa is intact, there is less chance of spread. If there is pus, it is very infectious. Still is is advisable to use condoms or avoid sex if possible. Try the above treatment, you may also try antibacterial creams like nitrofurantoin ointment along with warm compresses, or hot fomentation to help clear it early. Wait for a day or two. If it is a bacterial infection, it will either subside with the above treatment or develop a pus pointer. Regarding HPV; Your earlier query says that it is on the inner side of vagina. HPV can occur on the inside or the outside. Also if untreated it will take months to clear depending upon once immune response or the capacity of the body to fight it off. With treatment it will clear in a month or so depending upon the type of treatment. Please do not worry and wait for a few days to see how it behaves. I would be happy to answer any more queries. Feel free to ask them Dr Madhuri Bagde
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor