Cause of clumpy orange vaginal discharge with slight itching?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: HI, about 2 weeks ago, I had a vaginal infection. I had to take medicine for 7 days but forgot the last day. At the same time, I had an ear infection so I took antibiotics for a few days after the vaginal meds had ended. About a week ago, I got a hemorrhoid, which has now subsided after using over the counter meds. While I was on the hemorrhoid cream I notice clumpy orange vaginal discharge, and then afterwards more liquid and the color diluted. That stopped today. i went to the doctor who did the rapid test for bacterial vaginosis, and she also mentioned it could be either chlamydia, gonorrhea, or tryc... Last time I had sex was 3 weeks ago, and we used a condom. Before that, I was i a steady relationship for 3.5 months but didn't use a condom. I should aslo add that three years prior to this I was diagnosed with vaginal herpes but haven't had an outbreak in a while. I have no burning sensation when I pee, but a bit of itching and mild burning if I sit with my legs crossed. Another doctor I consulted, who did my pap smear in Nov and treats my herpes, says it should most likely be a relapse of the initial vaginosis. What do you think? i have to wait a week for the tests to come back, and it's driving me insane.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MOSTLY SUGGESTIVE OF VAGINOSIS OR TRICHOMONIASIS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. According to your given information, clumpy orange vaginal discharge with slight itching is mostly associated with Bacterial Vaginosis and Trichomoniasis. However, STD (like Chlamydia or Gonorrhea etc) should be ruled out in this context as you have history of unprotected sex. Here, you have to wait for upcoming test result to rule out underlying etiology & confirm the diagnosis. Complete STD panel and test for Herpes also need to carry out (if not done previously) before going to treatment option. In addition, one routine urine examination with culture test and STD panel are required for your partner also to rule out asymptomatic organism (if any)/ STD and prevent recurrent vaginal infection. Kindly, consult with your doctor regarding this with corresponding treatment protocol. In the mean time, you would maintain genital hygiene properly and avoid unprotected sex until the problem is completely resolved. You must practice protected sex with condom in future to avoid STD and recurrent infection. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D