Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Cause and treatment for digestive tract problem

Answered by
Dr. Nsah Bernard

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 1704 Questions

Posted on Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: 27 year old male, rapid weight loss 12 weeks was over 20 kg, high lipase, high white cell count, high bilirubin, fatigue, diarrhea at least 6 times a day, 24 hr sample noted high fat, loose, watery,, abdominal pains mainly left side, dry mouth, hip pains,
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Obviously a digestive tract problem Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am sorry for your problems but the digestive condition that usually presents with such symptoms is acute or sub-acute pancreatitis and the major risk factor is heavy alcohol consumption. I do not know if you drink and smoke but if you do then that maybe the cause. Another common cause is biliary tract disease, invasive abdominal procedures/surgeries, trauma, drugs, and less commonly infection, hypercalcemia, hypertriglyceridemia, tumors, toxins etc. Well this is mostly my suspicion and that will have to be ruled out with a CT scan. Given the above scenario, it is possible that the cause will be a biliary tract diseases as there is high lipase, high WCC, high bilirubin and other digestive symptoms. The only way to stop the diarrhea is to identify the cause as soon as possible. Rehydration is paramount in maintaining fluid and electrolytes balance in your system and preventing dehydration. There are several other causes of above presentation besides pancreatitis but are mostly digestive tract diseases (the list is long so I will leave that part for your doctor/s to rule that out), but also lung and cardiac diseases can often be responsible. If you are not already in a medical facility i.e admitted, then you should be. An internist or a gastroenterologist should be able to review your case and come out with reasonable conclusions as soon as possible. You are young and your condition seems serious therefore require emergent intervention. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...