Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Cause and treatment for depression

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
Hi I am constantly stressed. I feel like I can't move hardly because I am so stressed. I am a Nursing student,mother,caregiver,I work,and constantly have a full house. I can't study because my minds going In a hundred different places and I can't focus. I feel like I am drowning. I overweight, and always tired. I need help and I am not sure what to do
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depression Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The symptoms that you have stated that of #feeling stressed # Unable toconcentrate # Always tired # Feel like drowning All these suggest that you might be having a depressive episode. In depression the life appears mostly hopeless and the work efficiency also reduces. And that is the reason probably you are feeling that you are always hose full. If such a patient comes to my clinic, I would like to start him/her on Fluoxetine or Venlafaxine for 8-10 months. The drugs start showing their effect in 6-10 days with remission of symptoms in 14 days if the drugs are effective. Also I would advice you to get a complete blood count and thyroid levels done to identify if these symptoms are due to anemia or hypothyroidism or due to stress. If you feel you are not comfortable taking medicines, there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. There is no need to feel panicky. Discuss these options with your GP or psychiatrist who would be happy to help you with a prescription. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor