Cause and cure of water discharge from eyes?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Dear Doctor,
coming water in my eyes... plz. suggesation..
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you give more information on:-
1. Whether there is redness in your eyes?
2. Is there any sticky discharge in your eyes?
3. Any history of foreign body like dust or small pebble entering your eyes?
4. Since how long are you having this problem?
5. Any associated cold or running nose?

There are many causes of watering in eyes. Treatment can be planned according to your reply to above mentioned queries.

In the meantime keep your eyes clean by washing them with clean water two to three times a day.

Awaiting your reply...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Thank Q Doctor,

1. yes (more time seeing the computer or any picture)
2. no
3. no
4. one year
5. no
iam working with computer per day menium 10 hours... so face that problem there no saite but some times paine my eyes...
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your response.

After reading your reply, it seems that watering in your eyes are due to excessive hours spent in front of your computer resulting in eye strain and wekness in eye muscles. You should give rest to your eyes in between. Every 20 minutes, look to a distance of around 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Also blink your eyes in between as while working on computer, frequency of blinking decreases naturally.

You should consult an Ophthalmologist and get your refraction done. Also you should use anti-glare glasses/eye protection screen while working on computers.

You should learn exercises to strengthen the muscles of your eye ball from your ophthalmologist.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any furthur doubts, I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Than Q somuch Doctor,

plz. tell any eye drops this prablem.....
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

You are always welcome to post your queries.

As I have already mentioned watering in your eyes is not due to any infection or allergic condition but it is due to eye strain. So, eye drops have no role in preventing watering of eyes due to computer strain.

You should rather get your vision checked (Refraction) by an ophthalmologist (Eye specialist) and take precautions as mentioned before.

I hope this answers your query.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli