Cataract surgery done. Started getting motion sickness, light headed and vertigo. Is this normal ?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I just had cataract surgery on my right eye. 2 days later I got motion sickness, might headed, throwing up,
a kind of vertigo. Is this normal ??
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that you are not suffering from any serious problem.

Also, it is not related to cataract surgery.

The most likely cause for your symptoms is peripheral vertigo.

In this condition, a sense of dizziness or giddiness is present, along with nausea and vomiting. Symptoms get aggravated on moving the head and neck, as in bending, getting up from sleeping position, etc.

Most often, it resolves on its own in about a week.
For symptoms relief, you could take betahistine (for dizziness) and ondansetron (for nausea).

If you do not improve, you may see your doctor.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist