Owl Image

Cataract surgery done. Have cold, cough and noticed bruise over eyelid. Any cure?

Question
I woke up 3 days ago with a bruise over my left eyelid. It has gotten darker but as not spread to the other side. I had cataract surgery on that eye in Sept. I have recently had a bad cold and cough. I also often take ambien at night. I thought there might be 2 possibilities...severe coughing in the night causing a blood vessel to break there or I could have gotten up, wandered around and injured my head without being aware. My sister is being treated for Giant Cell Arteritis. I am a 66 year old Caucasian female. I take lisinipril, meloxicam, protonix, and CYMbalta.
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The bruise over the eyelid is likely to be due to an injury of which you are not aware of. Long term use of pain killers can also cause an easy bruising.
Most of the times such bruises heal spontaneously in about 2-3 weeks. The worry starts if sign of infection like fever, redness etc. are present, and symptoms like pain, swelling increases and bruise lasts for more than 3 weeks. In such a case you need to consult your physician for proper treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.