Can't hear well from ears. Had tubes put in as child. Need to have microsurgery to remove hardened fluid

Posted on Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Im 37. I can't hear over well in both ears. Aa doctor had told me tthati should have had tubes put in as child because the fluid is now solid and muffles peoples' words. He said there is a mmicrosurgery to remove the hardened fluid. Does this sound coorect? I would get hearing aides, but, it doesn't make the echoing stop. Tell me what you think please.
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based on the information it seem like you are having issues with hearing and your ENT specialist says that you need to have microsurgery to get hardened fluid out and it will make hearing better. And your question is should you go for it or hearing aid will make it better so that you may not have to deal with surgery.

Answer to that question is "YES" it sound correct about micro surgery will be the best option and will help your hearing the best way possible.

Let me explain about how ear can hear sounds, the sound is a form of wave which strikes to our eardrum, the ear drum is connected with series of duct containing fluid, now the vibration caused in the ear drum will pass a ripple in the fluid in ducts, the fluid then flows and strikes the ripple to the nerves which senses the strength and shape of ripple of fluid and which sends the information to brain and brain makes a sense out of that ripples of fluid (this happens in fraction of second).

Now imaging the ripple flowing through a pond and if their is a rock how the ripple will distort right ? In the same sense the hardened / solid in the ear duct will cause distortion in the ripples formed by the vibration of eardrum. Which you feel as muffling sound instead of the clear sound. Hence the microsurgery will remove the hardened fluid which distorts the ripple of fluid, which in turn helps for clear hearing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about the hearing aid - It will not help because the hearing aid will only make the eardrum vibrate more (its used in person having hardness of ear drum/ ear drum is stuck and can't vibrate on its on at normal sound strength). In your case the drum is fine but you had inner fluid issue. Hence hearing aid will not help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think, its to much information, still if you need any more information please contact me and feel free to express you concern.

THANKS
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Jay Patel 12 minutes later
What you responded with makes sense. Furthermore, I appreciate the details. My concern is what amount of damage happens while undergoing a micro surgery? Is there name for this procedure? Do they go through the ear drum and does that cause permanent damage when doing so? Is there some downtime expected post-op? Is this procedure an ENT can do? Or is a different named specialist? There is a Michigan Ear Institute here, perhaps they can help.
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 26 minutes later

Welcome back, the procedure is known as "Cochlear dialysis", It short procedure, and being a part of ENT, I don't have enough knowledge to let you know about the out comes of surgery and other questions you are wanting to know. The most appropriate person to answer your question will be ENT surgeon.

Yes ENT surgeon will perform the microsurgery and Michigan ear institute most likely will help you with it, but I am not sure of that too either, please call them and inquire about the issue first prior making a visit.

Thanks again.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Dr. Jay Patel