Cannot take NSAIDS due to stage 3 renal disease and have arthritic pain in hip and low back. Is it safe to take aspirin?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I cannot take any NSAIDS due to stage 3 renal disease. I also have arthritic pain in my hip and low back. I tried willow bark, which seems to work well, but am concerned about safety to kidneys, knowing that aspirin is derived from willow bark. Is this unsafe for me to take?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are right

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query. Indeed, you are right, I believe it would not be safe for you to take willow bark extract since it may contain unpredictable amounts of salicylic acid, the main component of aspirin. In History of Medicine, we are taught how patients were treated for "fevers" with willow bark extracts.

For patients in your situation, I usually recommend topical NSAIDS (like Voltaren gel) which are only going to act locally without significant systemic absorbtion, or a gentle, non NSAID pain reliever such as acetaminophen or if severe pain, tramadol.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN