Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Cannot retract foreskin completely during erection. Urologist suggested for circumcision surgery. Should I go for it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Hello Sir,

I have a problem with my foreskin. I am not able to retract it completely and smoothly during erection. I checked this with an urologist and he suggested me for circumcision surgery but I am afraid that after surgery and with out foreskin and frenulum I may loss my sexual sensitivity. Is my concern reasonable? Please suggest, shall I proceed for circumcision surgery or not if I loss some permanent sexual sensations and without circumcision or full retract of foreskin on erection, is it risk to have sex?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Thanks for the query.
If your doctor has advised circumcision,then you must definitely go for it.
There are  numerous advantages of the circumcision like...
It reduces the risk of sexually transmitted disease specially HIV
It reduces the risk of cancer of penis
It reduces the risk of cervical cancer to the female partner
In fact circumcised penis has been found to improve sexual function,sensation and sexual satisfaction.
Don't harbour any wrong  notion about he surgery as it would not cause sny problem to you sexually,rather your sexual functions would be improved,as told above.

In fact if you don't get the surgery done,there is always the risk of tearing of your foreskin of penis at the time of intercourse.
So just go ahead with surgery and don't worry about any sexual problem in future.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further problem.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Cannot retract foreskin completely during erection. Urologist suggested for circumcision surgery. Should I go for it? 9 hours later
Hello Sir,

Thanks for the reply.
Actually in my case, it is not a severe phimosis, I am able to retract the foreskin behind the gland and also retract back to it's original state but with a little tightness, as I have succeeded doing this just 2 days back. Apart from the surgery any steroid cream helps to relax the skin to loss enough so that the foreskin will glide smoothly on gland. Please suggest what is best in my case, as surgery is a no reversible technique and anything else which I can try?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Since the problem is not that acute and you want to avoid circumcision ,you may  be able to achieve the loose foreskin by certain methods like .....
 Use baby oil, Nivea or vaseline as  a lubricant.apply on the foreskin inside and outside and pull  the foreskin forward away from the body several times then pull it back as far as it will go onto the glans (head of the penis} and hold it in this stretched position for several minutes. If done with an erection the stretching will be even more effective. Do this several times a day. Specially do it in morning after bath.

Steroid creams can be used...
Steroid creams should be used next if no significant progress has been made after a month. The cream you need is called Betamethasone 0.05% .The cream should be massaged into the tight part of the foreskin inside and outside 2-3 times a day for at least a month combined with further stretching. 

There are other small surgical procedures which can be done where only slight incisions are given and skin can be loosened like...
Dorsal incision
 Ventral incision

You try out stretchings and massaging for 6 to 8 weeks and if you still don't feel satisfied by the result,you may consult a urologist and discuss about the possible small surgical processes as explained above.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor