Cancer patient has delivered baby. What are the precautions to be taken for the newborn?

Dr. Arif N Khan

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: HERE UPDATES on mother to be "DENISE" STARTING OCT. 23 > XXXXXXX was admitted again to the hospital because Denise's sodium levels were low...they have her on IV sodium chloride. Hoping to induce soon. Such an unexpected turn. She & XXXXXXX are just riding the roller coaster...hoping to hang on till the ride ends and they can hold a healthy baby in their arms and get Denise's chemo started. It's extremely tiring for XXXXXXX to have such pain in the liver area. But, they are managing it with oxy codone every 4 - 6 hours. It's good that she's gained 7 lbs. back of the 13 she lost, however they feel some is water fluctuation. We were feeding her well and concentrating on good protein & good fats. Drinking lots of water may have diluted the sodium in her system. Yet, that is what they instructed her to do. Confusing to us "lay people" and the Drs. - so we are not surprised by this new issue. Baby doesn't seem to mind the ups and downs, which is good. Heartbeat is steady as well as the growth. The 3 D ultrasound shows baby is fine! Plump face/lips *:-* kiss XXXXXXX seems unaffected by these visits to the hospital. Enjoys the snacks in the lunch area for new mothers, tonight she was eating choc. pudding and posing for pictures. She knows the hallways and elevators well. Entertains the nurses and knows the way home (for part of it). Sleeping on her own now and getting into a routine . ______________________________________________________________ Thursday, October 24th, 2013 Baby Elyn (pronounced Long E lyn) XXXXXXX Hope Mueller, born 9:24 a.m. weighing in @ 4 lbs 10 ounces and 17 3/4" long. Baby Elyn had a sleepy day and enjoyed meeting her big sister, XXXXXXX Hopefully, XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX will get some needed rest to deal with the next hurdle: chemo Baby Elyn will be in the NICU for 2 weeks and XXXXXXX may be in ICU for 24 to 48 hours. Followed by a few days receiving chemo, before being released to come home with a port/pump for more chemo. She's been so valiant in dealing with the challenges of the pregnancy and delivery, her resolve is strong to fight the cancer...let's continue to pray for her and keep positive thoughts. October 28> XXXXXXX disconnected from all the tubes/wires & I.V....she must feel like she is flying solo. A friend arranged for her to have a massage and after her shower & Physical Therapy, she must be feeling exhausted, but so 'FREE' of the encumbrances she's had to endure from her admission on October 22nd. So much has happened in that time! She will remain in the hospital at least until Monday...possibly stay to have some rehab, if deemed necessary. There are 3 other options: home therapy, nursing home in Janesville or come home & go to therapy somewhere. I'm hoping she can come home and have any additional therapy come to her. It's so much easier considering there will be a little baby here besides XXXXXXX Much less taxing on XXXXXXX Just when she will be feeling stronger, it will be time for the next round of chemo. She also has to have a P.E.T. scan at some point. Hopefully, we will get a better handle on what sort of cancer we really are dealing with, as it's been baffling to the Doctors. Elyn is doing so well with her bottle feeding and may be able to come home by the end of next week. It would be wonderful to have them come home the same time. Let's hope it works out that way. Her pictures on facebook/Denise's site show a very alert and thriving baby girl. XXXXXXX had a bout with a slight fever last night and after a good soak in the tub and solid nites' sleep and restful 2 1/2 hour nap today, she's turned around. I think she was completely worn out and fought off a relapse of the head cold she had at the beginning of the month. We didn't dare take her to the hospital to see mom & sister today. If she remains fever free tonite, we will visit the hospital tomorrow. ______________________________________________________ NOVEMBER1 >Today Denise's labs showed improvement. XXXXXXX enjoyed going with pappa this morning and got to wear her new dress. Baby Elyn again 'guzzled' her bottle when I fed her. She is not a cry baby and enjoys listening to us talk to her and she smiles readily. Truly a remarkable 34 week old baby. She even tried to pull her n.g. feeding tube out with her own fingers. She may get it taken out tomorrow anyway, because they don't need to use it, as she eats her whole bottles now with little prompting. The nurse said she's tried to remove the tube before without success. We figure she's going to take matters in her own hands, but the nurse only applied more tape! 'Foiled again'...ha XXXXXXX will hopefully come home on Tuesday OCT29 and we'll get more conclusive news from the P.E.T. scan on Wednesday. a.m.. We'll see how soon "wonder baby" will get to come home Thank You for your concern the doctors are doing their best, but it's now mostly in God's Hands with his help XXXXXXX will win her fight agnainst the CANCER! -------------------------------------------------------------- Note : Please find the below link for the reference of this users previous query. WWW.WWWW.WW
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Avoid breastbeeding to baby Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I read the whole story, I am touched and also its very painful.. Its a good news that the newborn is doing well. Kindly continue giving the baby bottle feeding as breast milk is contraindicated. She has continue taking the medications and chemo cycles regularly. I advise her diet which will help her in fighting cancer, tell her to have every morning few wet dates , along with 1 cup vegetable juice of carrot, beetroot, french beans and cabbage all the veges in equal proportion twice a day. She can also eat plenty of wheat grass. Hope she follows this diet, it will be very helpful to her by giving her lot of physical strength. Along with this I will advise you to go for acupressure therapy, it will help in palliation. Kindly ask if you have any questions. Please try to be specific. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Follow up: Dr. Arif N Khan 45 hours later
The breast milk is from a sister who gave birth in XXXXXXX this summer she offered and even bought a machine to express it; -also other mothers have offered their milk - so the mother is able to take her chemo and the baby is well fed. Also we have the offered advice of a daughter who's mother she helped survive 3 different cancers, the mother went on to live 30 more years to age 98 (she was a register near, who looked to alternative treatments to add to the prescribed one given by the cancer specialists. So, we're on board already using a juicer. But the wheat grass you mentioned is new to us are you talking about sprouts, or fresh grown? Also, is acupressure the same as acupuncture in affectiveness.....? Oh,I'm sorry about my not giving my 'ACCEPT' , is their anyway I can make sure you receive those credits you should have got that I meant to give you.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Accupressure is different from accupuncture Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologize for the late response It's good news that so many are helping the mother and the baby. Coming back to your question, wheat grass I mentioned is growing wheat - the green leaves of wheat need to be eaten. The primary difference between acupressure and acupuncture is that the latter uses thin needles in addressing health concerns, while the former doesn't break your skin. However, the two methods of holistic medicine have much in common. Please ask if you have more questions; I will be glad to answer. Please close this discussion if all your questions are answered. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Arif N Khan 3 days later
More update followed by Question - XXXXXXX came home on Tuesday and Elyn came home today. "Home sweeeeeet home"...Elyn has her first appointment with her pediatrician tomorrow and XXXXXXX returns on Monday for her 2nd round of chemo. The P.E.T. scan revealed the initial site of the cancer to be the colon (sigmoid), and liver (secondary) and small spots in the lungs. Nothing too surprising, actually glad it confirmed the suspected sites and not more. She is responding well to the chemo and hopefully her edema will soon fade along with her yellowed skin tone. We see evidence that both are improving, so we are hopeful that XXXXXXX will be able to get back to feeling better soon. Her pain is managed, but not without the usual run around with insurance/drug stores/doctors...trying to get the drug that worked so well in the hospital is near to impossible once you get home. Imagine the insurance company wanting someone to try a 'unused' drug for your 1 a.m. pain control. They didn't want to fill the order for oxycontin/time released...instead they wanted to give her morphine. Which she wasn't given at all in the hospital. After numerous phone calls, they filled the RX...but, not for the dose she's used to, of the oxycontin. We'll see how that goes @ 1 a.m. (in less than 1 hour). I'll give Elyn her 1 a.m. feeding and hopefully both my babies will go back to sleep with no problems. Before XXXXXXX left the hospital...her blood work showed improvements in the liver enzymes and her sodium levels. We hope to raise her hemoglobin by Monday with continued use of the blood builder (plant based iron) supplement and E.P.O. shot. She's eating better and still drinking the smoothies of yogurt, protein and tonight had her own raspberries from her garden (that were in the freezer)! Along with an organic banana in it. XXXXXXX loves the smoothies too and we even make XXXXXXX drink them. Tonight we enjoyed Italian House spaghetti and meatballs...cheese ravioli with XXXXXXX sauce and their famous GARLIC CHEESE BREAD!!! Tomorrow, we will have a dinner brought in from the congregation friends. I made XXXXXXX a side of organic spinach to make her meatless cheese ravioli tastier...sauteed with garlic, onions, olive oil and drizzled with lemon. She even ate a salad of sweet organic greens. Drizzled with lemon. Which reminds me to make my lemon/garlic salad dressing...as we are avoiding all vinegar. For lunch I made her egg salad with organic eggs, organic green onions & mayo (some vinegar in it)...anyone have substitute for mayo without vinegar??? We had chicken fajitas last nite with organic black beans, sour cream and XXXXXXX Halverson's great guacamole! The organic blue corn tortilla chips were good too. So, we are eating good. XXXXXXX & I baked a 'confetti' box bundt cake & drizzled butter cream glaze over it...our party cake for mom's homecoming. Question : would the Morphine been less toxic for her impaired liver to handle? Take care all and keep us in your prayers
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Morphine gets metabolized in liver Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologize for the late response; I was away fdue to unavoidable reasons. Its nice to hear and how much stress and pain you are taking in taking care of your daughter. I really appreciate your hard work and enthusiasm. Coming back to your question, Morphine gets metabolised in the liver, so its not very safe if the liver is deranged, unfortunately for your daughter it will be a good option as her liver enzymes are showing improvement. Almighty bless you all.... Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T