Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Can you suggest a safe medicine to delay menses for a week?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Rogala, I am going on a vacation to the beach on 20th of July and my period date falls around the same time, Can you suggest a safe medicine that I can take to delay my menses for a week. I am 28years old and married for 3 years, i do not take any contraceptive pills, or I am not allergic to any medicine, however i have some amount of migraine problem.

My weight is 67 kgs and I am 5 ft 2 inches tall.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

If you are not taking the combined oral contraceptive pill then a hormone tablet called norethisterone can be prescribed. The dose is 5 mg three times a day starting 3-4 days before a period is due. It can be continued for up to two weeks or so until you want to have a period. Your period will then normally begin 2-3 days after stopping it. Norethisterone is normally safe to take. Some women have side-effects such as bloating, stomach upset, breast discomfort and reduced libido (sex drive).

How does this work?
Norethisterone is a progestogen hormone. Progestogens are hormones that sustain the lining of the uterus. Normally at the time before a period there is a fall in the level of progestogen hormone in the body. When it falls below a certain level, the lining of the uterus is shed as menstrual period. By taking norethisterone tablets (progestogen) the lining of the uterus is sustained until the tablet is stopped.
NORETHISTERONE comes by the name of
NORGEST 5 mg etc
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can you suggest a safe medicine to delay menses for a week? 8 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX I had known of a drug called Deviry 10mg tab suggested by a friend, but wanted a good medical consultation before going for it!

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any thing any time.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor