Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Can you suggest a good place and treatment plan to cure scleroderma ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
It appears that my daughter in law has scleroderma - I say appears because her doctors have run a bunch of tests and are leaning towards scleroderma vs. Crohns. She has had Reynaud's for a while and has some skin thickening but around January she started complaining about severe stomach aches and now she is on TPN, her upper intestine is distended to 6" vs. 2.5" normal, she cannot tolerate any food and even has issues with clear liquids. Doctors have tried anti-biotic treatments etc. Is there a definitive best place to get treated for this version of scleroderma?
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 7 hours later
Hi Shulman,

Thank you for your query,

Scleroderma is also called progressive systemic sclerosis(PSS),a progressive disorder characterized by diffuse involvement of connective tissue of skin, thickening of skin & fibrous deposition in certain XXXXXXX organs.There are two basic types 1) diffuse cutaneous scleroderma and 2) limited cutaneous scleroderma.In diffuse variety there is involvement of other XXXXXXX organs also.

Now the choice of doctor depends upon which all organs are involved in this case.There is a define involvement of gastrointestine with feature like heartburn and dysphagia etc,Which is obvious in your case too.

Treatment is frustrating and is of different types.Depends which all organs are involved .You can start with seeing a dermatologist who can then refer the case according to the need of the patient.You would also need the help of a gastroenterologist as your patient has symptoms relating to stomach.

D-penicillamine is a good option but has various side effects too.This would depend upon the severity of the disease .Other anti fibrotic agents can be also be used.
I don't know where you belong to ,but there are various organisations and societies for scleroderma in the world where you can contact for treatment and guidance and even doctors who are dedicatedly dealing with such cases.Couple of web sites are : & WWW.WWWW.WW I hope this of some use to you.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries’.

Dr.Bharat Chawda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor