Can you reverse macular degeneration?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: One of my friends son is 25years and he is suffering from Primary retinal degeneration both eyes since 10years. he also has Rod cone dystrophy. What can be his prognosis in future
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please read detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for his problem.

There is as yet no outright cure for macular degeneration, but some treatments may delay its progression or even improve vision. Treatments for macular degeneration depend on whether the disease is in its early-stage, dry form or in the more advanced, wet form that can lead to serious vision loss.
In some cases therapies like buckling can be done.In some cases laser surgery can be tried however unfortunately success rate are not that high.

Please attach reports of both eyes test with follow up and treatment recieved till date and is it dry or wet degeneration?

Take care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng