Can you look at the results of a stool test
Detailed answer and explanations are given below
I went through the test uploaded and noticed the following changes:
- she seems to have decreased normal bacterial flora (bacteria that are beneficial), which is needed for a normal function of the bowel
- increase in some opportunistic and pathological flora but does not justify the chronic diarrhea
- there are increased antigliadine antibodies which are not specific to but may happen with celiac disease (gluten intolerance)
Probably the use of antibiotics might have affected the balance between normal and other flora or the gluten intolerance itself may affect this balance and to help with this your daughter can take oral enterogermins (which contains normal bowel flora) to restore that balance.
The ANTIGLIADIN antibodies can be high in gluten intolerance but are not very specific so other blood tests might be needed to verify it (Tissue Transglutaminase antibody test) and in some cases, the doctor might ask for colonoscopy (examination of bowel with a camera) and biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.
To conclude I would say:
- It is clear there is a broken balance between normal flora and the rest of the bowel flora (opportunistic and pathological flora) and can be due to antibiotic use or the gluten intolerance itself. Using oral supplements with normal bacterial flora (enterogermins, lactobacilli) can help to reset this balance. Eating yoghurt is of help as well and trying to avoid antibiotics if not needed.
- Having a check to rule out celiac disease (gluten intolerance) might be of help as she already has increased antigliadin antibodies which may happen with gluten intolerance but lack specificity and need confirmation with other tests.
- If there are other tests she might have done related to chronic diarrhoea would be helpful to us to have a look at them.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj,
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- is it hpv?
- I am 77 years old and one breast is very
- I felt a sudden sharp pain in my inside wrist
- Is there a sleeping aid that I can use with
- Hi, I have been having acne problems for the past
- Can you look at the results of a stool test
- Hi my names is Isabel I’m 24 years old and
- I have had bladder infection after bladder infection on going
- Where can I find a doctor who will test and
- Feeling weak for about a week ! Why ?