Can weightlifting cause a swollen lump on each side of the supraclavicular area?

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just got blood test results from normal yearly physical. I am a healthy 69 year old male. good weight and all good habits, no alcohol no smoking, no drugs, no illenesses. The nuetruofiphils are listed as low at 30 and the lymphocytes are listed as high at 65. I feel great . I notice puffiness on both sides in the supracavicular areas. Just above the collar bone. the puffiness is about the size of the top 1/8 of a lemon...on its side....
i am concerned. I have noticed puffiness....for several months but attributed it to going to the gym and doing light weightlifting.......
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
total white cell count main important fact, if node enlarged-should be seen

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Neutrophils and lymphocytes are types of white cells.

When reviewing the complete blood count , the total white cell count needs to be assessed first.
Some of the reasons this goes up are infection, severe allergies , rarely in some forms of cancer.

If the total white cell count is normal, this is the main important fact.

Neutrophils are a type of white cell that goes up if there is a bacterial infection, lymphocytes go up if there is a viral infection eg can be the cold
Since they have to add up to 100% (along with the other types of white cells mentioned eg eosinophils, basophils), when one goes up, the other may be low-- to make back the 100.

There lymph nodes in the supraclavicular region, if you are noticing a distinct mass/lump in that region that may be an enlarged lymph node, you should be assessed.
Enlarged lymph nodes always need assessment though most are normal.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James