Can weight loss or exercise affect menstruation?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My menses normally follow a cycle of 24 days, this time 32 days have passed and no menses. What should I do. I had sex with my fiancée but during safe periods. I will do a pregnancy test soon. Can you please suggest me medicine to induce period.also m on a weight loss program as I have my wedding after 2 months. Hope my weight loss program won't get disturbed.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
delayed menses

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query to hcm,
the fact that this time your menses have been delayed is probably because of your intensive diet program which you have undertaken . This itself can cause physical stress and hence hormonal imbalances which can easily cause delayed menses. If the pregnancy is ruled out with a urine pregnancy test then it would actually be wiser to wait for atleast 15 days post missed period to allow menses to occur naturally. But if still it doesn't then you can opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterones by taking TAB MEDROXYOROGELTERONE 10mg TWICE A DAY FOR 5 DAYS and then waiting for a withdrawal bleed to start within next 5-7 days from the last day of stopping the drug.
Keep yourself well hydrated and moderate your weight loss programme as this may itself be the cause of delay this time.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 44 minutes later
Thanks. If the test turns positive which I believe will not but still then what medicines will u suggest. I m not on a severe intensive diet program but m undergoing massage sessions nd some heating session.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
If the pregnancy test is positive then you can opt for medical abortion under a gynaecologist supervision, only after an intrauterine pregnancy is confirmed from a transvaginal ultrasound as medical abortion meds cannot be taken for an ectopic pregnancy.
there is a set protocol for mifepristone and misoprostol drugs which can be taken , but it has to be prescribed by your gynecologist and self medication in such cases is not recommended as there may be chances of heavy bleeding sometimes which may become an emergency and shall need hospital care. So if test is positive i would suggest you to seek gyn care for further management.
regards