Can we test CSF leak through glucose testing?

Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I went to the dr. at e.r. tonight to determine if the clear fluid draining out of my nose was csf, I've had a head injury in '89, feel pressure with every cloudy night at site of injury and all day today this clear fluid has been draining so I collected some of the clear drainage in a test tube and asked if it was csf. I also have chronic sinusitis, rhinitis so it can be confusing. It tasted sweet. They did a glucose test on the fluid "to determine if it's csf". I think they had it wrong. You do a glucose test on csf to see if glucose is in the csf. What definitive test tells me if it's csf or not! It appeared they used a urine rapid response stick! I took my first large dose of curcumin yesterday, I believe it reduced my meningitis from the head injury so well that the csf flowed!
"In the past it was thought that CSF could be distinguished from other fluids by it's glucose content. Testing of the fluid dripping from the nose for glucose is no longer thought to be useful. Testing for beta-transferrin may help determine if it is CSF or something else. " from http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/csf-leak.html
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glucose test is accurate, but Trasferrin is better

Detailed Answer:
Glucose testing was the best test that we could do until the Beta Transferrin test became available.

If you would like the leak tested, Beta Transferrin is proof positive.

What makes you think you have a CSF leak though? What history of surgery or meningitis do you have? Have you ever had a head injury?

Spontaneous CSF leaks are very very very rare, but they are not impossible, So your Beta Transferrin Test is your best bet for proof.

Vinay