Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Can we get Ipills over the counter?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Hi.. are Ipills (emergency contraceptive pills) banned in India? Cant we get them over the counter? If not, would you be able to assist to help me get one in Chennai? Thanks
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

I-pill is not banned in India. It is available over the counter, all over the country. Hence, you can get one in Chennai too without a doctor's prescription.

Hope this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can we get Ipills over the counter? 4 minutes later
Hello Dr. Shanthi,

Many thanks for your confirmation. I tried contacting various medical stores (including appollo pharmacy) in chennai and all they have to say is, it is banned and is available only with the doctors. Would you be kindly able to assist/direct us to a place or doctor in chennai, whom we can approach for the pill.

Chennai, I'm sure you would agree is a very conservative city and it is very difficult to get an assistance on such matters from medical stores.

P.S. Me and my partner are above 28 yrs.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry that you are facing difficulty in procuring the drug. It is available over the counter all over India. Unfortunately, you are not getting it.

In such a case, the only option is to consult a doctor and get it prescribed by him/her.

Here is one doctor who works with us on XXXXXXX She is located in Chennai. You may want to contact this doctor for a prescription or the drug itself.

Yes, I do understand the situation in Chennai.

Please see if this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor