Can varicocele cause infertility?

Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: Can varicocele cause fertility issues with me? Should I get surgery to fix?
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
VARICOCELE & FERTILITY .

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Varicocele is a state of varicosity of the cremasteric and occasionally the TESTICULAR veins.
Your questions are about effect of varicocele over fertility and surgery .
Please read it carefully.
The testis is supported in the scrotum by the cremaster and the dartos muscles . In brief , the main function of cremaster muscle is one of then defence , for a fright ans trauma .
The main function of dartos is to bear the weight of testis.
In VARICOCELE there is characteristic elongation of the scrotum in this condition on the grounds that venous engorgement in the varicosity reduces the temperature differential ( scrotum/rectum) to about 0.1 degree C which may seriously DEPRESS SPERMATOGENESIS (production of sperm decreases ) .
The dartos relaxes in a vain attempt to maintain the temperature differential.
It also follows that the modern tendency to wear tight and poorly ventilated paints and scrotal supports is to be depressed.
Now for 2nd question :
Operation for VARICOCELE is NOT indicated UNLESS there is (1):pain; (2) serious depression of spermatogenesis ( oligospermia ).
So in my opinion get in SEMEN analysis , if sperm count is normal no need of any surgery .
Hope this will help you.
If further any question I reply in follow up.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D