question-icon

Can urinary tract infections cause burning sensations at the tip of the penis?

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018
Question: I have a urinary tract problem. When I urinate the end of my penis burns from the urine. It is also difficult to urinate with weak stream and small quantity. Urinate every few minutes. Doesn’t feel like kidney stones, but does seem like flow to bladder could be blocked.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:

It could be urinary tract infection or minor stones

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you have mentioned suggestive of urinary tract infection or minor stones(calculi) in your urinary tract.

Another possibility is enlarged prostate gland if you are older than fifty years of age.

No need to worry as of now. Consult a general practitioner and get the following things done.

1. Urine routine examination to rule out infection or blood in urine.

2. An ultrasound scan to look for any stones.
As of now drink plenty of water. A short course of antibiotics for five to seven days can be tried as advised by your GP.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Shinas Hussain