Can upper gastrointestinal bleed cause bleeding from rectum?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi, this is Dr. XXXXXXX working in an insurance company. I have a case for a 40 years old female patient presented with history of fresh bleeding from rectum. Nothing was found on colonoscopy. Now the doctor wants to proceed with upper GI endoscopy as he is suspecting that the bleeding source might be in upper GI. My question in this regard is can upper GI bleed present as fresh rectal bleed rather than melena or occult blood?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Very true Upper GI Bleed can not be fresh

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

I appreciate your awareness

You are right the upper GI bleed would not present as fresh blood, except if it is massive bleed

If the colonoscopy is normal wait for few days and keep an observation on bleeding per rectum

Also get the stool examination done

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical