Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Can ulcer in the stomach cause crampy pain under the rib cage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 451 Questions
Hi I am 22 and i am having pain right under my rib cage it is hard to the touch and feels like cramps i know i have and ulcer could this be what is causing my pain
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 3 hours later

Ulcer in the stomach will cause pain. If this pain is deeper, burning in nature and associated with food intake, yes it can be related to ulcer. You need an OTC Antacid like TUMS, Maalox Gel to get relief.

Another possibility is muscular spasm of intercostal muscles. The muscle pain is tender to touch. In such a case you can take Tablet Tylenol - DS. If it helps, then this can be muscular pain.

If you are not getting better by either of them, you need to get an examination by a primary.

Hope I answered your query.

Warm Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor