Can transient ischemic attacks cause facial weakness and tingling?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I experienced a problem with sudden weakness and tingling on the left side of my face. This lasts for about 10 minutes and leaves me very tired.. My face remains feeling weak and hurts for the rest of the day. I have no problem with my vision or my speech.. I was recently hospitalized for this,diagnosed as TIA..I am not sure that this is actually what it was..I was given a CT of the brain, carotid artery,2D echo and neurological testing as well as blood work up and EKG. All came back fine.. I have type 2 diabetes that is under control with medication.. My weight is normal and I am active
Any ideas as to what is happening
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:

I agree with your doctor

Detailed Answer:

I agree with your doctor that the symptoms you are experiencing are most probably due to transient ischemic attacks that are caused by the temporary deficient blood supply to a part of your brain.

This leads to weakness and numbness of one side of the face or the body.

The problem is that transient ischemic attacks usually is a warning sign of an upcoming stoke that might happen in the future.

So, I would recommend that you refer to your doctor for a prescription of an antiplatelet agent as aspirin 75-80 mg daily or an anticoagulant as heparin to ensure an adequate blood supply to your brain.

Also if your carotid artery showed a narrowing lumen then you should consider carotid angioplasty.

However, I would also recommend that you check on your blood level of vitamin b12 levels as it's deficiency can cause similar symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 14 hours later
I am currently on 75mg of plavax and 80mg aspirin..
I was told the carotid artery test was clear.
I am trying to get an appointment with a neurologist.
Wd my initial blood work at the emergency room show if there was a problem with the B12.
I am very concerned about an upcoming stroke,especially since I am wintering in Florida from NY..
Any other information would be greatly appreciated

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 21 hours later
Brief Answer:

Risk is minimal

Detailed Answer:

Since you are taking aspirin and your carotid artery was clear then this means that the risk of stroke is minimal. Vitamin b12 levels testing is not usually included in emergency blood works done in the emergency.

I would also recommend that you refer to a neurologist for a physical examination to exclude facial nerve neuropathy as a cause of your symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T