Can transient ischemic attacks cause facial weakness and tingling?
Any ideas as to what is happening
I agree with your doctor
I agree with your doctor that the symptoms you are experiencing are most probably due to transient ischemic attacks that are caused by the temporary deficient blood supply to a part of your brain.
This leads to weakness and numbness of one side of the face or the body.
The problem is that transient ischemic attacks usually is a warning sign of an upcoming stoke that might happen in the future.
So, I would recommend that you refer to your doctor for a prescription of an antiplatelet agent as aspirin 75-80 mg daily or an anticoagulant as heparin to ensure an adequate blood supply to your brain.
Also if your carotid artery showed a narrowing lumen then you should consider carotid angioplasty.
However, I would also recommend that you check on your blood level of vitamin b12 levels as it's deficiency can cause similar symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I was told the carotid artery test was clear.
I am trying to get an appointment with a neurologist.
Wd my initial blood work at the emergency room show if there was a problem with the B12.
I am very concerned about an upcoming stroke,especially since I am wintering in Florida from NY..
Any other information would be greatly appreciated
Risk is minimal
Since you are taking aspirin and your carotid artery was clear then this means that the risk of stroke is minimal. Vitamin b12 levels testing is not usually included in emergency blood works done in the emergency.
I would also recommend that you refer to a neurologist for a physical examination to exclude facial nerve neuropathy as a cause of your symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Heart attack tingling lips
- Facial tingling lymp node
- Tingling causes
- Facial tingling on right side
- Thyroid dysfunction and facial tingling
- Nose polyps and facial tingling
- Tingling facial cellulitis
- Spine tingle tailbone tingling causes
- Facial tingling and sore gums
- Can tonsil stones cause facial tingling
- What causes blood in stool while on Ibuprofen and Tylenol?
- Does Benzonatate interact with Trazodone?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, severe chills and fever
- What causes a lump in the armpit and fever?
- Suggest treatment for mucus in nasal passage
- Suggest treatment for throat pain and difficulty in swallowing
- Is chronic fatigue a symptom of Lyme's disease?
- Can Azithromycin cause painful lumps in the breasts?
- Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph nodes in the armpit and fatigue
- What causes severe vomiting and foul urine odor?