Can tonsillitis impair fertility while trying for pregnancy through IUI treatment?

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: Would having tonsillitis affect IUI treatment due next week? Am on antibiotics
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Severity of illness & Medications may affect the procedure results

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please ?

*when was the first day of your last menstrual period ?
*what antibiotics are you on ? Since when and for how long have they been prescribed ?
*what other medications are you on ?
*what are your symptoms ? Do you have fever ?
*have you had tonsillitis before ?
*when exactly is your IUI planned ? Dates please.
*do you have any other medical issues or taking any medications?

When the body is under stress, it can be difficult to conceive.
Certain antibiotics & medications are best avoided during conception & first trimester.

While it is perfectly possible for you to conceive with IUI this cycle, even with tonsillitis and medications, it may be affected by the medications you take.

Fertility centers may have their own protocols with these issues but is commonly applied to those undergoing in vitro fertilization.

Please get back to me with the above overview requested clarifications so that I may advice you further.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
Hello
The first day of period was feb 25th. I am on phenoxymethylpenicillin and started on them yesterday. Have a weeks worth. I am on the gonal f injections for IUI treatment and o do have a fever. I do have tonsilitis wuite regularly. Procedure would be thursday or friday.
Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can go ahead with Iui

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for the follow up and clarifications.

Phenoxymethyl penicillin is safe during this time.
As you have already started it, you should feel much better by the time your IUI is scheduled.

I see no reason not to go ahead with it, at present.

Regarding tonsillitis:
* how frequently do you get it in a year?
*have you ever needed hospitalization?
*how long does it usually last?
*has your doctor advised surgical removal (tonsillectomy)?
*how high is your fever?
*what other medications are you on? Do you have any other medical issues?

I recommend :
-proper & adequate Hydration. Keep sipping warm water through the day. Water boiled with cumin seeds offer soothing effects..
Milk, soup, water all add up (caffeine tends to dehydrate).
- tonsillectomy when possible.

You may go ahead with the IUI. if however, you still have a fever of more than a 101 f or feel rundown, tall to your doctor about going ahead with it.

I sincerely hope that you get better soon and pray that this cycle will be successful. Wish you good health.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T