Can toe numbness and nighttime cramping be treated?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 7 Oct 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I have diabetes and am experencing numbness on my right toe and cramping on my legs, especially at night.
This seems to be nerve damaging. Can this be reversed?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About Diabetes neuropathy;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone through your concern carefully.

Yes, numbness of the feet is a typical symptom of Diabetes neuropathy or nerve damage from high glucose level.

Cramping on the leg may be also a symptom of arteriosclerosis that causes low blood supply of the leg. It is also a common complication of Diabetes. To confirm/ rule it out, a Doppler ultrasound of the peripheral arteries is necessary.

Diabetic neuropathy can be prevented only by keeping normal glucose levels and is irreversible once set in.

Hope I have answered your query. Feel free to ask further.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee