Can thyroid disease lead to fatigue and weight gain?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I have a thyroid nodule and I only have half a thyroid. I am tired all the time, feel dizzy often, and I have gained weight in a short amount of time. Is this because the half of thyroid I have left is not working?

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
perhaps...

Detailed Answer:

partial thyroidectomy may cause thyroid hormone abnormality in 15-30% of patients. It's easy to check whether you're one of them or not but measuring your blood thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). If your TSH is not normal, measuring your fT4 (and perhaps also fT3) will be helpful. Fatigue and weight gain are common symptoms in hypothyroidism, so - taking your medical history into account - you'd better check your hormones.

I hope you find my answer helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!