Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Can thickening of the heart muscle be reversed?

Mar 2017
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1314 Questions
Is there a pill for the thickness of the heart muscle?
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Maam

From the medical query which you have raised i assume that you are concerned about the thickness of the left ventricle wall (Correct me if am wrong).

Thickness of heart muscle usually increases over time in patients with hypertension as heart has to pump blood against increased pressure. So in order to compensate for this the thickness of heart muscles increases. This increased thickness wont cause you any harm.

The only thing you need to take care is you blood pressure control and ideally it should stay below 140/90mmHg. As you are taking amlodipine which is an antihypertensive, if your blood pressure is staying under the limits then its alright and you need not worry.

If you have undergone Echocardiography then i would like to see the report of that. Kindly upload it.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can thickening of the heart muscle be reversed? 10 hours later
Thank you. My blood pressure was 118/77. Amlodipine keeps my blood pressure under control and that's why I do not want to leave it for a beta blocker.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Yes your blood pressure is very well maintained and it's not advisable to change the medicine.

Just stick to it and follow healthy lifestyle routine.

I hope this information will answer your query. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor