Can the sense of smell and taste return for a former drug addict?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have lost most of my sense of smell due to snorting cocaine.i have completely stoped using cocaine for one and a half moths now but my sense of smell is not coming back.i have also lost partially my sense of taste.nothing tastes right.i also have a nasal perforation that is a medium size.my question is will my sense of smell and taste come back.or how do i know if i have caused permanant damage.

just to give you further information .for example i can smell my perfume or a ladies perfume.some food taste great but alot of food that i used to eat just does not taste
right very bland.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anosmia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Loss of smell after cocaine use is due to nerve damage. There are some chances of recovery.
Taste is also related to smell. Recovery in smell sensation will help to retrieve tastes too.
Use a fluticasone nasal spray twice daily for at least 3 weeks.
Take tablet vitamin e once daily.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D