Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Can the hcg diet or antibiotics cause sweets syndrome? Can imuran be taken while on hcg injections?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Can the hcg diet or antibiotics cause sweets syndrome? If not, can imuran be taken while on 23 day round of 175-200mg hcg injections?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
Sweet's syndrome — also known as acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis — as you know-is a skin condition marked by fever and painful skin lesions that appear mainly on your arms, face and neck. The exact cause of Sweet's syndrome isn't always known. In some people, it's triggered by an infection, illness or certain medications. Sweet's syndrome can also occur with some types of cancer.
Drug-induced. Although uncommon, Sweet's syndrome may occur as a reaction to a medication, most commonly to granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, a hormone preparation designed to increase your white blood cell count. Other medications associated with Sweet's syndrome include certain antibiotics, oral contraceptives, diuretics and anti-epileptic drugs, among others. Once the offending drug is discontinued, Sweet's syndrome usually goes away. So yes both HCG and antibiotics can cause sweets syndrome.

You had written if not (for above) then whether there is inter action between HCG and Imuran, I could not find any interaction reported. But the doctor who is monitoring your imuran intake should be informed that you are going for HCG diet course he/she may have different opinion.

Regards. If there is any further followup query I will be happy to answer.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor