Can the first onset of multiple personality disorder appear at the age of 36?

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Can a person have their first onset of multiple personality disorder at age 36 after living a normal stable life w zero history of mental illness?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is possible

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

Although from the name it appears that it is a personality disorder but it is kind of dissociative disorder which can start at any age. I think you got confused by the name personality disorder as true personality disorder start by 18 years of age.

Having negative history of mental illness does not protect anybody from dissociative personality disorder as it has different mechanism of development in contrast to majority of other psychiatric disorders.

I hope I am able to answer your question to the expected level.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 minutes later
What causes this diassociative disorder & what triggers initial onset?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Causes are multiple but trauma remains most common cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Although it is difficult to single out cause in many of the patients but in majority (in whom cause is identified) of them experience one or more episodes of trauma. The trauma can be sexual, physical, emotional, social, familial or any of that you can guess.

Many of the sufferers have history of child sexual abuse and that tops the list of causes of multiple personality disorder.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist