Can the damage to optic nerve be reversed?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, this is XXXXXXX Almost five year back my cousin brother met a road accident & lost his sight. since then we have took him to many hospitals & other places but all in vain. On basis of Test reports doctors are saying that the nerves connecting eyes to the brain are gone dry & at present there is no cure is available for this thing. Please help. 0000
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The damage caused to optic nerve is not reversible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K an ophthalmologist and I will be answering your question.

I reviewed your history.
I can understand your concerns.
As of now there is no treatment for optic nerve damage.
If the optic nerve is damaged as mentioned by you, not much can be done.
However if the nerve is partly damaged then low visual aids can be used.

Hence I advice you to send me more details and reports so that I can go through them and advice you more accurately based on the reports.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards