Can testosterone supplement cause an increase in hemoglobin levels?

Posted on Mon, 23 Jan 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Can testosterone supplement cause increase reading of Hemoglobin and Hematocrit?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Taking Testosterone supplements cause increase in Hemoglobin levels .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,

Testosterone stimulates production of Erythropoetin a hormone that plays important role in a process of formation of Hemoglobin Hence it is a natural finding to increase Hemoglobin levels by 10 % in a individuals who are on Testosterone therapy for 4-6 months .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 19 hours later
So elimination of testosterone supplement would lower hemoglobin 10%. Not much. What other steps could be taken? Recent readings were:

Hemoglobin 17.5 gm/dL HI
Hematocrit 52.9 % HI

Thanks.

XXXXX
(000) 000-0000
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Elimination of Testosterone will lower ddown Hemoglobin levels .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Elimination of Testosterone supplements will lower down Hemoglobin levels and it may become normal level .However consult your physician before you stop taking supplements as it may aggravate symptoms for which you have been prescribed Testosterone .As such raised hemoglobin is not going to harm you in any way .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 17 hours later
The gist of my follow-up question was that it appears from your first answer that reducing testosterone will only marginally reduce the high reading of hemoglobin. So what other steps could I take to reduce hemoglobin? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no medicine that can reduce Hemoglobin levels .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

There are no medicines that can lower down Hemoglobin levels by virtue of it's action .Hemoglobin is the main important constituent of blood .Only acute or Chronic blood loss will reduce the Hemoglobin levels Reduced intake of Iron will also cause to reduce Hemoglobin levels .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Tha
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist