Can teeth cleaning cause sore throat?
It is less likely to be due to teeth cleaning
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.
Based on the history you have shared, it is less likely to be secondary to teeth cleaning and can be a separate entity as early signs if upper respiratory tract infection.
However the chemicals used can lead to local irritation at times and if you are allergic to any of these it may also present in the same way.
It's better to use OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen along with anti histamines like Cetrizine or Loratidine and monitor the response before starting antibiotics.
If symptoms persist, get it reviewed again by your primary care physician or ENT doctor to look for throat for any signs of inflamed tonsils or redness in pharynx to differentiate between infection to be the cause or any signs of allergic reaction.
Very rarely some impacted bacteria which gets dislodged from teeth cleaning may cause it but it doesn't have the short incubation period and usually takes days to develop such infection and isn't so acute.
Meanwhile saline water gargles and steam inhalations wilL be helpful.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pistachios causing sore throat
- Mebeverine cause sore throat
- Sore throat causes miscarriage
- Sore throat caused by sunburn
- Listerine causes a sore throat
- Sore throat after teeth cleaning
- Sore throat cause of tragus
- Meth causes sore throats
- Will a goiter cause a sore throat
- Costochondritis cause sore throat
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?