Can teeth cleaning cause sore throat?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 13 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and 12 hours later I began to have a sore throat which has gotten steadily worse. Is it possible that this a result of teeth cleaning? I usually have my teeth cleaned every every 6 months but this time 9 months went by between cleanings.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is less likely to be due to teeth cleaning

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the history you have shared, it is less likely to be secondary to teeth cleaning and can be a separate entity as early signs if upper respiratory tract infection.

However the chemicals used can lead to local irritation at times and if you are allergic to any of these it may also present in the same way.

It's better to use OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen along with anti histamines like Cetrizine or Loratidine and monitor the response before starting antibiotics.

If symptoms persist, get it reviewed again by your primary care physician or ENT doctor to look for throat for any signs of inflamed tonsils or redness in pharynx to differentiate between infection to be the cause or any signs of allergic reaction.

Very rarely some impacted bacteria which gets dislodged from teeth cleaning may cause it but it doesn't have the short incubation period and usually takes days to develop such infection and isn't so acute.

Meanwhile saline water gargles and steam inhalations wilL be helpful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana