Can taking vitamin B12 show a false positive on a pregnancy test?

Excellent
Question
Will b12 vitamins give me a false positive on a pregnancy test I took a first response test and it came back positive and 5 one step test that came back negative I have been having brown discharge and spotting and my period is 3 weeks late so I went to hospital and got a urine pregnancy test done that came back negative she said I could be testing to early that I may have got lucky to get that 1 positive so I'm wondering if the b12 cause me to get that one positive or if I'm pregnant
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B12 cannot give a positive test.

Detailed Answer:

If you have always been regular with your cycles and have a missed period now, your chances of being pregnant are high if you have been sexually active in the fertile period.

Vitamin B12 cannot interfere with a pregnancy test to give a false positive test. External use of human chorionic gonadotropin can give such false positives.

In the current scenario, you should undergo a trans-vaginal sonogram and an estimation of the serum beta-hCG titres to clarify the situation. Pregnancy can be confirmed/excluded definitely by this method.

If pregnancy is positive, you may need hormone supplements as the breakthrough could be due to deficiencies and further management planned accordingly.

If pregnancy is negative, you are suffering from some temporary hormonal imbalance which should be corrected through one or two courses of hormones.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Can taking vitamin B12 show a false positive on a pregnancy test? 8 minutes later
are the spotting and brown discharge on top of cramping and nausea normal symptoms for early pregnancy? my and my husband have been trying for 7 months and have had about 4 miscarriages so this was sort of confusing to us we are hoping we are pregnant and my periods are normally regular and to be about 3 weeks late isn't normal. I usually start on the 21st of every month maybe 3 days later occasionally and I didn't have one last month my last period was 6-21-14/6-27-14 haven't had one since then.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discharge is abnormal in pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Cramping and nausea can happen in early pregnancy but spotting and brown discharge are definitely not normal. As you have had miscarriages in the past, I presume your doctor may have analyzed the cause and a conclusion drawn on future management if you conceive again.

You are indeed late for your period and as I said, please get a sonogram along with a blood test for pregnancy which clarifies things beyond doubt. If you are pregnant, you can also see the sac and the viability.

A hormonal assay may be needed to plan proper supplementation needed. This is needed in either case. Also, if you are pregnant and hormonal defects have been the cause of your previous miscarriages, you will definitely need supplements early on.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please get back if you have any more queries. I will be glad to answer.

regards,
Shanti.V.