Can taking protonix cause stool to be lighter in color?

Posted on Fri, 3 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can taking a proton pump inhibitor like Protonix cause your stools to be lighter in color then normally without the medication? The medication seems to be helping with the nausea and burning symptoms I experienced but my stool color seems light brown to yellowish. I have also been taking for the past four weeks Citrucel to help increase fiber. Regular bowel movements each day but much lighter in color then the brown before taking the meds.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 33 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

As you know there are known side effects with all known medications

Though very rare and the incidence unknown PPI are known to cause clay colored stools

You may avoid this group and go for diet control and or antacids

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Other then stool color I seem to be responding well to the medicine. Is there anything I should be concerned about with the lighter stool color or any symptoms I should look out for with lighter stool color?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later
Hope fully no problems

U may continue
and if there is any other observation do get back to me I will try to help you out

Hope this clears your doubts
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical