Owl Image

Can taking anavar increase the cholesterol level?

Psychiatrist
Question
in low does can anavar (oxandrolone) raise bad chloesterol? (even if eating right) and i just want to do one cycle 6-8 weeks, at 50mg. i have ulcerrative colitis so i want to gain weight bodyweight/muscle. can i have my doctor monitor my bloodwork?
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Oxandrolone does have an adverse impact on the lipid profine even in low doses. Studies have shown that in doses as low as 20 / 40 mg per day, it decreases HDL (good cholesterol) levels and increases LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. Some studies have found a slight decrease in triglyceride or even total cholesterol levels. But the HDL to LDL chlesterol ratio is considered important as a predictor of cardiovascular health than total cholesterol. Persons taking oxandrolone have been found to have changes in this ratio, which would seem to increase the risk of heart disease.

In case you are particular about taking it despite the risks, then it would be a good idea to monitor your cholesterol and liver function tests. But you may have to approach a private doctor for this as will not be covered in any state health services or insurance packages.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist